It’s August! Seems like a good time for another OpenRIF update.

Attribution of Contributions in Open Source Communities

Members of the OpenRIF community may find Kate McLaughlin’s presentation from PyCon 2016, Build a Better Hat Rack: All Contributions Welcome of interest. This talk focuses on the #LABHR movement, started by Leslie Hawthorn. LABHR describes a five-step process to identify and thank, both privately and publicly, non-code contributions. There is a strong analogy to issues in academia around attributing non-authorship contributions to science. Compare and contrast!

VIVO 2016 Conference Posters

Both of our poster submissions for the VIVO 2016 conference were accepted. If you’ll be in attendance, come talk to Marijane about OpenRIF and the SciENcv alignment to the VIVO-ISF ontology during the poster reception on August 17th from 5-7pm.

VIVO for Historical Persons at VIVO 2016

Thea Lindquist and Alex Viggio invited Marijane to help out with the ontology extensions for their VIVO for Historical Persons project, http://vivo4hp.org. The model was extended to accommodate diplomatic missions and historical dates. VIVO4HP will be a featured presentation at VIVO 2016 on August 18th. OWL files and ontology diagrams can be found at the OpenRIF github: https://github.com/openrif/vivo4hp

Look for an OpenRIF blog post going into more detail soon.

ICBO 2016 Conference Poster

We managed to sneak the SciENcv/VIVO-ISF poster into the ICBO 2016 conference, happening this week Aug 1-4 in Corvallis, OR on the Oregon State University campus. See it during one of the many poster sessions scheduled throughout the conference.

It’s June! A lot has been happening in the OpenRIF community since I joined in February. An update seems in order.

OpenRIF workshop at FORCE2016

Members of the OpenRIF community successfully conducted a workshop at FORCE2016 in April. A recap has been posted at the OpenRIF Blog. Which brings us to…

Blogging

We have begun occasionally posting content to the OpenRIF blog. In addition to updates like the one you are reading now, over the summer there will be a series of posts rehashing presentations from the workshop at FORCE2016. Links to blog posts will be posted to the OpenRIF Twitter.

VIVO User Group Meeting

Members of the OpenRIF community were in attendance at the VIVO User Group Meeting in Chicago on May 5th and 6th. A productive and stimulating discussion about ontology change management occurred on the second morning of the meeting, and it ended with an list of action items that includes the creation of an ontology development process, which will be addressed in more detail in at least one future blog post. A more detailed recap can be found at the VIVO Blog.

OpenRIF on Gitter

A handful of OpenRIF chat rooms were created on Gitter, most within the last two weeks.

VIVO 2016 Conference Poster Submissions

We took advantage of the extended poster submission deadline for VIVO 2016 to submit a poster abstract about OpenRIF. Marijane White also submitted a poster abstract about the SciENcv/VIVO-ISF integration project.

Google Group Housekeeping

The two OpenRIF Google Group mailing lists were reorganized this week. The group formerly known as “openrif” is now “openrif-community” and will be used as a place to post updates like the one you are reading now and a place to ask questions about OpenRIF. The group formerly known as “openrif-team” is now known as “openrif-dev” and is the place to go to talk about things like tools, process, ontology changes, documentation, website updates, and conference participation – in other words, any and all of the work done by the OpenRIF community. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/openrif-dev

On April 17, 2016, members of the OpenRIF community held a successful workshop at the FORCE2016 conference held in Portland, OR.

The workshop opened with an overview of the OpenRIF project and community. Melissa Haendel, director of the Ontology Development Group (ODG) at OHSU, started the session off with a brief history of OpenRIF before going around the room to allow workshop participants to introduce themselves. Next, Violeta Ilik, head of Digital Systems and Collection Services at Northwestern’s Galter Health Sciences Library, gave an overview of how OpenRIF intends to integrate the research landscape. Finally, Shahim Essaid, also with the ODG at OHSU, finished up the overview with a brief tour of OpenRIF community resources on the web, including our GitHub organization, the VIVO-ISF ontology, our website, and our issue tracker.

Next, several members of the OpenRIF community spoke briefly on various projects that are already using the OpenRIF infrastructure.

Mike Conlon, VIVO project director for the Duraspace organization, gave an overview of the VIVO project and the VIVO-ISF ontology, highlighting all of the ontologies integrated into VIVO-ISF and describing the Person model used in the new OpenVIVO platform. Shahim Essaid introduced the eagle-i project, explained how it was integrated with the VIVO-ISF ontology, and the project’s modular approach, which OpenRIF plans to use as a model for future VIVO-ISF development. George Chacko, Chief Scientific Officer at NET Esolutions Corporation, gave an update on his team’s work on the NIH Portfolio Analysis Reporting Data Infrastructure (PARDI) project, including an overview of the project scope, system architecture, current status, and a case study. Marijane White, another member of the ODG at OHSU, discussed the effort to integrate SciENcv, the federal researcher profile and biosketch system, into the OpenRIF ontology, and what we hope to achieve by completing this integration. Finally, Kristi Holmes, director of the Galter Health Sciences Library at Northwestern, closed out the presentations with an overview of the work the NISO/FORCE11 Attribution Working Group is doing to represent an expanded set of research contribution roles and output types, in order to support expanded evaluation metrics and foster a better understanding of the scholarly ecosystem.

Look for a series of followup posts to this blog that will go into each presentation in more detail!

Workshop participants asked good questions throughout. What they most wanted to know was how they could become contributing members of the OpenRIF community. Mike Conlon had some suggestions that will be explored further in a future post. The workshop finished up with an intense discussion about what the FORCE11 and OpenRIF organizations are really about. Shahim Essaid proposed that OpenRIF become part of W3, while Marijane White drew an analogy between the work OpenRIF is doing for scholarship and the schema.org community. These ideas will also be explored further in a future post to this blog.

Thank you to everyone who presented, attended, and participated in the workshop! We owe our success to you.

The OpenRIF team is very excited to be presenting a workshop on April 17th at FORCE2016!

We will provide an introduction to the OpenRIF organization and invite contribution of use cases from workshop participants.

Participants are invited to add comments and questions to the agenda document.

See the full workshop details at the FORCE2016 website.